Æthelred II and Cnut the Great Conference
University College London and University of Winchester
6-9 July 2016
This July, join Julian Bowsher and others for this conference, 'Æthelred II and Cnut the Great: a Millennial Conference to Commemorate the Siege of London in 1016' to mark the 1000th anniversary of the rise of King Cnut of Denmark to the throne of England.
The series of talks will consider the relationship between Anglo-Saxon England and Scandinavia during the early 11th-century, with a focus on the political and cultural repercussions of regime change in 1016 and the role of London in that process.
Julian will be discussing the ‘Coins of Æthelred II and Cnut the Great from London excavations’ on the morning of 7 July at UCL. The conference will be held over four days, 6-8 July in London before continuing with a tour and talks at Winchester on the 9 July.
Keynote speakers in London include:
- Simon Keynes, Elrington and Bosworth Professor of Anglo-Saxon, Cambridge
- Roberta Frank, Marie Borroff Professor of English, Yale
- Andy Orchard, Rawlinson and Bosworth Professor of Anglo-Saxon, Oxford
- Andrew Reynolds, Professor of Medieval Archaeology, UCL
Keynote speakers in Winchester include:
- Barbara Yorke, Emeritus Professor in Early Medieval History, Winchester
- Elaine Treharne, Roberta Bowman Denning Professor of Humanities, Stanford