John Baker’s late 17th-century glasshouse at Vauxhall
2005Kieron Tyler, Hugh Willmott
John Baker’s Thameside glasshouse in Vauxhall is the first of London’s 17th-century glasshouses to be excavated. This publication describes the finds from the site, demonstrates how Vauxhall competed with London’s other glasshouses and discusses London’s late 17th-century glass industry. The glasshouse opened sometime between 1663 and 1681, and had closed by 1704. Excavations in 1989 found a furnace, crucibles, tools, working waste and finished vessels. Vauxhall was operating when lead crystal was first being made in England but it produced vessels for a proven market: wine bottles, green-glass vessels and fine wares. The remains of a well-preserved 17th-century bargehouse were also recorded at the site.
Monograph Series 28
MoLAS 2005. ISBN 1-901992-44-6. Pb85pp. 79 bl/wh and col ills.