Thames Discovery Programme Tadpoles: Second fieldwork trip to Custom House
Custom House Stairs, Water Lane, EC3R
Time: 12.30 -13.30
The third and fourth sessions will take place at Custom House over two days, but there is no requirement to attend both. These will a first opportunity to take part in practical Tadpole fieldwork and help to record the archaeology of this stretch of foreshore.
These sessions will allow new and more experienced Tadpoles alike to survey the remains of a causeway leading from the bottom of the river stairs down the foreshore, and a wooden gridiron which once supported customs barges at low tide.
As this session is outdoors, you will need to wear comfortable but suitable clothes and waterproof footwear as the foreshore can sometimes be uneven and muddy and often cold.
You will also have the opportunity to complete the CIfA accredited Archaeology Skills Passport.
Parents are welcome to come along to the session should they wish. The members of the Thames Discovery Programme running this event have current DBS checks and are first-aid trained.
We’re delighted to be able to offer this series of events free of charge with thanks to support from Tideway.
To read all about the Tadpoles group, click here. Find out about the other events in the Tadpoles calendar below:
Tadpoles Summer Programme 2019:
- Saturday 2nd March: Season launch at Mortimer Wheeler House
- Saturday 23rd March: Greenwich foreshore walk
- Wednesday 10th April: First fieldwork trip to Custom House
- Thursday 11th April: Second fieldwork trip to Custom House
- Monday 6th May: Bankside foreshore walk
- Saturday 22nd June: Third fieldwork trip to Custom House
- Sunday 6th July: Fulham foreshore walk
- Saturday 20th July: Fourth fieldwork trip to Custom House
- Monday 5th August: Visit to Rotherhithe as part of FROG fieldwork