Family webinar: Roman pottery and salt dough making with Land of the Fanns
This October Half Term, MOLA community archaeologist Paul McGarrity is running two free family webinars to explore what archaeology is and how it can be studied across the Land of the Fanns, a historic landscape stretching from east London into southwest Essex.
Suitable for children aged 7-11 years and their families, these special sessions will explore archaeology and the fascinating story of the past beneath our feet, offering all budding archaeologists and historians a chance to learn from an expert, find out more about the history across the local landscape and get crafty too. Each will feature an archaeological craft activity to join in with:
- The first webinar on Monday 26 October at 2pm looks at Roman pottery and shows how to make salt dough pottery. Roman pottery kilns have been found across the Land of the Fanns in Thurrock, Romford and in Grays.
- The second webinar on Thursday 29 October at 2pm, is all about the Norman Conquest and its impact on the Land of the Fanns area. The medieval barn in Upminster is similar to Norman tithe barns and will look at how to make a tithe barn money box.
This event is supported by the Land of the Fanns Landscape Partnership Scheme, which aims to connect people to their local area and it has a range of opportunities for people across the area to learn new skills and engage in events and activities focussed on the landscape, its heritage and natural history.
Places should be reserved in advance, up to and including the day of the event, via GoToWebinar.
Workshop 1: Roman pottery and salt dough making
- Monday 26th October, 2-3pm
- To book a place, go to: https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/7195782845545732620
Workshop 2: Norman Conquest and tithe barn moneyboxes
- Thursday 29th October, 2-3pm
- To book a place, go to: https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/8257919874070430476
After registering, attendees will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the webinar. For help using GoToWebinar, please email firstname.lastname@example.org, further information is also available online: https://support.goto.com/webinar/how-to-join-attendees.