Former Old Street Magistrates Court and Police Station, 335 and 337 Old Street, London EC1, London Borough of Hackney: A standing building survey report (OSE10)
Constructed in 1903-05 (architect, John Dixon Butler), the eastern half of the building contained a police station, which included accommodation for a married inspector on the 1st floor and for 40 single men on the 2nd and 3rd floors, with a kitchen and mess room, and rooms for storing, drying and brushing clothes and boots. The western half of the building contained two court rooms, with a public entrance in the centre of the street front, and a separate entrance for magistrates to the west. The two halves of the building were rigorously separated internally. Court No 2 on the 1st floor served as the main juvenile court for east London from c. 1909 to 1925. A large yard at the rear of the building, entered by gates to the east, from Old Street, and at some distance to the west, from Hoxton Street, gave access to the cells and the policemen's parade room. Additions and alterations are documented in 1914, 1935, 1937, when a garage was added in the yard, and in 1939, 1961 and 1967. The magistrates court left the building in about 1999 and the police in about 2008. The building, to be refurbished and converted to a hotel, is listed, grade II (LBS 470535).